Blocked attachment
Chris M
2008-05-22 13:26:01 UTC
Windows live hotmail account will not let me open e-mail attatchment from excell file that I know is safe and cannot figue out how change e-mail security settings.
StephenB
2008-05-22 23:49:21 UTC
Post by Chris M
Windows live hotmail account will not let me open e-mail attatchment from excell file that I know is safe and cannot figue out how change e-mail security settings.
Have the sender place the Excel file in a zipped file or rename the extension
from .xls to .safe and resend it.
Note that Excel files are not normally blocked, though.
-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
***@mvps.org
Robert Aldwinckle
2008-05-23 17:03:47 UTC
Post by Chris M
Windows live hotmail account will not let me open e-mail attatchment
from excell file that I know is safe and cannot figue out how change e-mail security settings.
On which OS and using what E-mail client?

Try using Windows Live Mail (windows app) to do that?
Then a workaround which usually works is to artificially
start forwarding the E-mail, e.g. just press Ctrl-f
and then drag the attachment from the new E-mail
composition window.

Note: if you need help using WLMail a better newsgroup
to use is microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Cross-posting to it for convenience.

I can't tell how you are accessing this thread;
so your "newreader" may or may not show you
that cross-post and allow you to enter that other
newsgroup using it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---
...winston
2008-05-25 06:53:42 UTC
I just tested a free and Hotmail Plus account for receiving and downloading an xls file..worked ok at this end..

You might ask the recipient to zip or rename(extension) the file
<qp>

Compress the file.

Show me how
Use a zipped folder or a third-party compression program to compress the file, and then attach it to your e-mail message as a .zip
file. See your software documentation for information about how to compress a file.

Change the file extension to .txt.

Show me how
Locate the file that you want to attach, right-click the file, and then click Rename.
Type txt in place of the original file extension, and then press ENTER.
Attach the renamed file to your e-mail message. Remember to tell the recipient how to change the file extension back after they
download the attachment to their computer.

<qp>
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail