Need help in transferring to Custom Domains
Jamie
2007-05-16 04:52:01 UTC
I want to transfer my domain to Custom Domains but I'm a bit of a newbie at getting it sorted.

I need to change an MX record. Custom Domains tells me to enter the following info:
Host: mydomain.net
MX server: 684332022.pamx1.hotmail.com
TTL: 3600 or 1 hour

When I go to configure these settings at my DNS provider it has the following MX records already set up:
name=@ pref=10 server=smtp.iomartmail.com.
name=@ pref=50 server=mta1.iomartmail.com.
name=@ pref=50 server=mta2.iomartmail.com.
name=@ pref=50 server=mta3.iomartmail.com.
name=@ pref=50 server=mta4.iomartmail.com.

I presume pref is the same as what Custom Domains refers to as priority. So no problem there.
My DNS provider doesn't give me the option to enter the TTL. Am I supposed to be able to add this somewhere?
My DNS provider wants me to add a name. I'm not sure what this should be. Should it be the same as the existing MX records (i.e. "@") or should it be something different?

Custom Domains also suggests I should "Add a SenderID which is a TXT Record (Text Record) for your domain". I haven't the first CLUE about what this means or how to do it. Does anyone know?

Thanks
jamie

P.S. This si my first tiem posting to this board. I hope i get notifications of replies!!!
celticboy6
2007-05-16 16:09:02 UTC
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to Custom Domains; we're happy to have you and to help. You will get notifications of replies if you turned on the alerts after you submitted your message.

To address your main question
- For the name, just leave is as @, this will default it to your domain name. You
- For the TTL, usually that is set default to 3600 or 1 hour, so don't worry about changing that.
- For the actual MX record, you need to delete all the listings you have above and add a new listing with the MX record provided by Windows Live Custom Domains. That will prevent confusion regarding where your mail should go.

You don't have to add a SenderID record, but it does help if you think your domain might be spoofed (used for spam by someone pretending to be sending from your domain). Unless you are a well-known business that is unlikely. You don't have to be concerned about adding a SenderID.

I hope this helps; if you have more questions though write back and we will help.
Jamie
2007-05-16 16:16:05 UTC
Cool...

Thank you for the reply. I'm working on getting this sorted soon. Hopefully should be pretty easy although I'm a bit snowed today. My DNS provider has accepted my changes so all I need to do now is delete existing MX records.

Don't have time today unfortunately because I'm geting on a flight over the atlantic soon. But will get round to it soon enough.

Thanks again for the reply (whoever you are - I can't see a name anywhere for some strange reason).

And yes, notifications work fine!!

-Jamie
celticboy6
2007-05-16 16:22:00 UTC
Yeah, should have inroduced myself too.

My name is Andrew, I am the Support Program Manager for Windows Live Custom Domains.

Have a great flight!
Jamie
2007-05-16 17:42:01 UTC
Thanks Andrew.

I'll probably have some more questions about SenderID soon enough but for now - don't worry about it.

One other thing....I have been very VERY critical of Windows Live (both in public forums and on private surveys/emails) about the lack of interfacing with customers. feedback.live.com is the only avenue to do this and that is a shocking attempt to engage with customers because the feedback is entirely one way - there isn't even an acknowledgement that feedback was successfully received.

Hence, I was delighted when I found this forum. I hope other Live Services start to take advantage of helpcommunity.live.com ASAP.

Regards
Jamie
celticboy6
2007-05-21 15:11:06 UTC
We're working on it, but it's entirely by product. Some other solutions you might like are the many Windows Live related Spaces kept by the product groups. Here are a few you can check out.

http://customdomains.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c02_owner=1 - Custom Domains
http://dev.live.com/blogs/virtual_earth/ - For Live Search Maps and related apps
http://morethanmail.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx - Windows Live Mail.

Best,
Andrew
Wyrus
2007-09-13 02:22:02 UTC
I have updated MX record as as given but even after 4 days its shwoing PENDING DNS CONFIGURATION
After clicking on REFRESH its same case
I checked with online MX record lookup tools and I found everything is updated as required

www.lovelynepal.com IN CNAME lovelynepal.com 14400s (04:00:00)

lovelynepal.com IN MX preference: 0
exchange: 528326409.pamx1.hotmail.com
3600s (01:00:00)

Now what should I do, shall I wait more long or its problem on domains.live.co
I am loosing all my mails since last 4 days

Thank you for your time.
Robsta
2007-09-20 14:52:01 UTC
I have the same problem, is there some extra delay on the MS servers? I changed the details some days ago, although the domain is registered in the UK but all the US based tools I've tried are picking the change up... unless I have entered it incorrectly? (added directly to zonefile)
Benedict
2007-10-19 14:34:04 UTC
I have a different problem.

My domain registrar (Fasthosts in the UK) will only allow me to enter an IP address rather than the 12489967.pamx1.hotmail.com host name for the MX server.

I believe the IP address for this server is 65.54.247.8 but want to be sure. Can anyone confirm?

Bizarrely Fasthosts will not allow me to configure any other MX record details - only the MC server address can be altered. Will this cause me problems?

Ben
Bill
2007-12-05 04:58:00 UTC
I'm having the same problem. And obviously support hasn't responded lately. ;p

I don't know how they expect this service to fly w/o proper support.
pm
2008-01-01 23:21:00 UTC
I could not find POP settings anywhere, but if you are using Windows Live Mail (its a free download) or the Outlook Connector you can just choose HTTP and it should work.

I only needed my email address and pw to make the HTTP setting work on Windows Live Mail. I've not been able to get the Outlook Connector to work but I think that is something unrelated to account settings.

Hope this helps,

pm
rjbullock
2008-01-29 00:28:00 UTC
Got the same problem... my DNS is updated and I can do an MX lookup to verify that it's correct, but I still get the "Pending DNS Configuration" message...

Andrew, any idea what's going on here?
Libbro
2008-01-31 06:23:11 UTC
Me three!

Updated my MX record 5 days ago, but WL Admin center is still saying my service is pending DNS configuration; I am not confirmed as an administrator of this domain.

I've refreshed, and tried checking on multiple computers (so it's not a cacheing issue) -- am I missing a step here?

Help files are not helpful; I sure hope the PMs or Support folk decide to answer this thread.
rjbullock
2008-02-01 01:54:00 UTC
This is getting depressing... How is Windows Live going to compete with Gmail when they can't fix a simple problem like this and ignore support forums?

Robert
djrlj694
2008-03-05 17:45:00 UTC
Me, too. Things were working great until Dec 2007 when I switched email hosts. I'm curious, though, if MS Exchange Labs (https://exchangelabs.com/) is destined to replace Windows Live Hotmail if it makes setting up custom domains easier.
margaret
2007-11-10 18:07:00 UTC
i need pop settings and smtp address
marlene mendes
2008-05-21 22:09:00 UTC
hi i want to change my screen name can you please tell me how